What are the 5 most common mistakes that sellers make when listing their home?
When a home owner decides to sell his or her home in 2016, the seller needs to adjust their thinking to a new mind set. This Real Estate market is extremely different from the Real Estate markets in past years. There are different dynamics involved in the sale of a home. It is not as simple as it used to be. The days of simply placing a home in the Multiple Listing Service, placing a “for sale” sign, and hoping that the home sells are a thing of the past.
Here are 5 very important tips that every home seller should be aware of in 2016:
- A picture is worth a thousand words: In 2016, 95% of home buyers will find your home on their cell phone. Your pictures are not important, they are critical. You have 6 seconds to attract the attention of a home buyer. The first picture must be the money shot.
- Staging your home: It is very important that your home looks the part on-line. Staging and photography will increase your home’s on-line impact.
- Price to sell: This is not the market to over price. The buyer has never had so much access to information that can influence their decision. Remember you don’t have to negotiate.
- Open Houses: In 2016, home buyers know what they are looking for. They have all of the necessary information (square footage, bedrooms, baths etc.) accessible at their fingertips. Over 40% of homes will sell at open houses. It is extremely important that you do not skip this step.
- Home inspection: Have a home inspection prior to listing your home for sale. You will be able to provide information to the buyer making him or her more comfortable. You will have better disclosure for the buyer, and most importantly you will not have and surprises during the deal. Waiting for the buyer’s inspector to find something wrong with your home is just putting your head in the sand.
These are just a few tips that will help you start the proper thinking process for selling a home.
Over the next few home blogs, I will go much deeper into how to properly prepare your home for sale, how to successfully negotiate the transaction, and most importantly close your escrow.
It is my strongest advice that when you are ready to sell your home, you take the necessary steps to educate yourself to the many changes that affect our market in 2016.
If you are looking to buy or sell, don’t hesitate to give us a call! 818-789-5300